10.24.2012

Owl Baby Backpack


Tomorrow we will be taking Violet in for her second holter monitor.  She has had two previous episodes of SVT at 9 and 15 days old.  She has not had an episode since.  My husband and I are looking at her year milestone not as when she will be a big girl or when she should start walking (we are well past walking and into running at this point) but as an ending to medication.  If this monitor comes back normal we can take her off her meds.   If the one in a couple months is normal, we can leave her off her meds.

I'm very excited for this.  I'm not a fan of medication.  The side effects always worry me.  I don't take Advil and I'm terrified of codeine.  I refused even an IV in labor.  Not because it didn't hurt.  (cause holy mother of GOD.)  But because I was scared of side effects.

SO.  Tomorrow we take her into get her holster.  She will have 6 leads attached to her and this pack that takes in all the information about her heart.  She will have to leave this all alone.

The last monitor was at four months.  At that time she was on her tummy trying to crawl and wasn't interested at all in the leads.  I don't think this time is going to be that easy.

My bright idea came while she was nursing, as so many of them do.  I made her a backpack to hold her monitor.  And then her toys cause it's just really damn cute.

This isn't a tutorial cause I winged it most of the time.  But I may make a larger one and make a tutorial out of that.  That is, if you want.  :)

Basically, its 2 tight granny squares with a drawstring.  Very simple design.


I completed the granny squares and joined them with a double crochet (dc) and then a slip stitch.  So you go around one square and add a dc then join the back square with a Slip Stitch (sl).  



I did this with the right sides facing out.  I probably should have done it the other way because this way the back kind of folds in.  If I had done wrong side together I could have flipped it inside out and it would have a more round shape.




After adding the sides I made the chains at the top for the draw string.  Its a chain 7, skip a single crochet and single crochet in the next all the way around to the beginning.  (So that's - Ch7, sk, sc* to beg)



After adding the sides I made the chains at the top for the draw string.  Its a chain 7, skip a single crochet and single crochet in the next all the way around to the beginning.  (So that's - Ch7, sk, sc* to beg)

The draw string is a big chain.  I used 3 red yarn and one white and a J hook.  Then just weave it in.  doubling on the back so that you can pull the arms out.



Next tie the end of the chain to the bag.  I put mine at the very bottom.  Violet is a small 11 month old, only 17 lbs.  So I had to have this snug on her body.  


Pull the sides to make sure it "draws" correctly....



Next I put a little buckle in the front so that the arms wouldn't slip off.  they would have probably been fine, but I don't want it moving around too much.

This is a ch8 and two rows of sc.  At the end chain 5 and attach at the opposite end.  I sewed it on with the tail and attached a button.




And WALA!






Credit: I got the adorable owl granny pattern here -
 http://www.justcraftyenough.com/2012/08/iron-craft-challenge-16-owl-blanket-for-a-baby-bird/

2 comments: